Thursday, June 2, 2011

Glimmerglass Festival

It's amazing the things that elementary children come up with...  Last summer, I thought I was the best mom, securing the hottest ticket at the NYS fair for the 7 year-old set, Justin Beiber.  After the concert, my little man informed me that there was "too many screaming girls."  He suggested we try going to an opera instead.  Who says these things! Since this year is our "summer of exploration" I have decided to take him up on his challenge, we are going to the opera! After some research, I found out that there is a local opera festival in Cooperstown that occurs each summer at Glimmerglass and fancy enough, this year they have a special promotion for Herkimer and Oneida County residents to attend this prestigious festival for just $12! (Thanks to a generous grant from The Community Foundation of Herkimer and Oneida Counties)


The Glimmerglass Festival's Alice Busch Opera Theater.
Photo: Claire McAdams.


This year's festival begins on July 2 and runs through August 23. It features new productions of CarmenMedeaAnnie Get Your Gun and a double bill of world premiere A Blizzard of Marblehead Neck and Later the Same Evening.  I plan on presenting him with the options this evening, but I have a feeling Annie Get Your Gun will be our cultural selection this summer!  It may not be classical opera, but this American theater will be around much longer that Bieber Fever!

No comments:

Post a Comment